- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? [No]
- While there are ongoing discussionsabout resuming specific international commercial air routes, as of today, the Vietnamese government continues to suspend entry into Vietnam to all foreigners, including people with a Vietnamese visa exemption certificate. This policy has very limited exemptions for diplomatic, official duty, and special cases, including experts, business managers, foreign investors, and high-tech workers of businesses involved in important projects as determined by the Government of Vietnam. Family reunification is not one of the exemptions. For further information, please see the Vietnamese government’s website here. All persons entering Vietnam must undergo medical checks and 14-day quarantine upon arrival.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? [Yes]
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? [Yes]
- Vietnam currently provides an automatic extension of temporary stay through September 30, 2020, for foreigners who entered Vietnam with a visa exemption certificate, e-visa, or tourist visa on or after March 1, 2020, and intend to depart Vietnam during the period of extension (by September 30, 2020). Individuals in this qualifying group may exit Vietnam during this period without having to apply for an extension of stay. For further information, please see the Vietnamese government’s website here.
- The U.S. Embassy Hanoi and Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City may issue exit letters in support of U.S. citizens who entered Vietnam before March 1, 2020, and can present concrete plans to exit Vietnam by September 30. U.S. citizens may request an Exit Letter by following the instructions here. Please note, however, that the Embassy and Consulate can in no way sponsor U.S. citizens during their stay in Vietnam and cannot issue visa extension letters for U.S. citizens who wish to extend their stay in Vietnam. Please contact the Vietnamese immigration offices directly for instructions on how to extend your visa.
- Da Nang immigration office reopened on September 5. U.S. citizens in Da Nang with questions about their visas and residence in Vietnam should contact the Da Nang Immigration Office directly. Their contact information is available here.